Khushi, the flagship project by HZL is a unique tri-partite Public–Private–People initiative. The project is in its fourth year and directly reaches 60,000 children in 3,089 Anganwadi Centres (AWCs) in select Blocks of Ajmer, Bhilwara, Chittorgarh, Rajsamand and Udaipur districts. The AWCs are important grassroots village level institution that cater to the health, nutrition and pre-school needs of children. Our goal is to strengthen the efficacy of Government’s Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Scheme by improving health and well-being of children in the 0 to 6 years age group in the 3,089 Anganwadis (AWCs). The project is being implemented in partnership with reputed NGOs like Gramin Avam Samajik Vikas Sanstha (Ajmer), CARE India (Bhilwara & Chittorgarh), Jatan Sansthan (Rajsamand) and Seva Mandir (Udaipur). Last year, 2 AWC workers, Ms. Rukmani Bhoi and Ms. Vimla Kunwar were awarded with ‘National Awards for Exceptional Achievements’ by the Ministry for Women & Child Development.
Nand Ghar project focuses on the AWCs and re-imagines them into state-of-the-art centres which find a place of pride in communities. Nand Ghars provide a child-safe and friendly learning environment with amenities like safe drinking water, uninterrupted supply of solar power, digital learning facilities, etc. Many Nand Ghars are also used (post AWC hours) for providing entrepreneurial skill training for women through another flagship project ‘Sakhi’. During the year, 264 Nand Ghars were constructed taking the total to 314.
Shiksha Sambal project aims at quality teaching of Science, Maths and English (SEM) subjects and is now reaching out to more than 7800 students in 60 Government schools. The project places additional teachers into schools and builds a strong conceptual foundation among students using innovative learning techniques and activities such as group learning, worksheets, learning camps, science fairs, etc. The class 10 results were a huge reaffirmation of this investment with significant improvements in results of SEM subjects. The project is being implemented by Vidya Bhawan. The table below shows the change in % of schools which had pass rate of over 70% in these subjects in 2016 (base year) and 2018 (current year).
|% Schools With >70% Pass Rate
||% Schools With >70% Pass Rate
During the year, a new program using a personalized and adaptive cloud-based learning solution called ‘Mindspark’ was initiated in 19 government schools to strengthen language and Mathematics learning for classes 1 to 8, directly benefitting more than 3200 students.
Unchi Udaan project is build on the foundation of Shiksha Sambal and creates an opportunity for high performing students from the project schools to enter engineering institutions of national repute. The project provides residential and non-residential schooling and coaching support to select group of students. The first batch of 24 residential and 6 non-residential students took up the Joint Entrance Examinations for engineering colleges this year. Three students have cleared JEE-Advanced and are eligible to enter IITs. The rest of children as well will enter Govt. engineering colleges & other colleges. The Unchi Udaan project is being implemented by Vidya Bhawan & Resonance Edu ventures.
Jeevan Tarang focuses on more than 800 children with special needs who have hearing/visual impairment or have special intellectual need. The objective is to make the children self-reliant through improved education opportunities including technology-based learning. The project also aims to spread overall awareness and sensitisation about the disabled among the public and employers to build an equal and inclusive society.
Some of the key highlights & achievements from this year were:
- In a first for the mining sector in India, job mapping and inclusion assessment for persons with disabilities was conducted in partnership with a nationally reputed and specialist organization.
- Workshops on menstrual hygiene and sexual violence were organized for hearing impaired girls
- Introduced Indian Sign Language to family members and teachers of hearing-impaired children to facilitate better two-way communication.
- Mainstream cinema hall screening of Bollywood movie ‘Hichki’ in Audio Described Format for visually impaired audience were organized in Udaipur, Bhilwara and Ajmer.
The project is being implemented by Noida Deaf Society and Dr. Homiyar.
Scholarship Support for Higher Education
Hindustan Zinc provides merit-cum-means scholarships called ‘Yashad Sumedha’ for youth pursuing engineering education. During the year, 111 students received this scholarship. In addition, 8 top ranking students of various streams from College of Technology and Agriculture Engineering, Udaipur were awarded scholarships. The Company also provides full scholarship for girls from villages around its operations to pursue higher education at Vedanta Post-Graduate Girl’s College, Ringus. The Company supported 51 girls during the year taking the total to 98 girls.
Samadhan is the Company’s flagship program for on-farm sustainable livelihood reaching out to 8174 farmers through agriculture interventions and 4295 families through livestock interventions during the year. The foundational element of the project is the formation of Farmer Interest Groups in villages based on their unique circumstances such as types of land holding and farm activity to help them to collectively overcome challenges related to market access and product pricing. Some of the key efforts carried out during the year focused on improving soil health, quality of agriculture seeds & horticulture plants, improving breeds of animals like goats, buffaloes & cows and improving farming practices & technology. By 2020, Samadhan will positively impact the lives of more than 30,000 farming families living near HZL operations. SAMADHAN is being implemented in partnership with Bharatiya Agro Industries Foundation (BAIF).
Skill Development Projects
Skill Development Projects train local youth for appropriate job-related skills based on their aptitude and education to improve their employability. During the year, six projects were initiated exclusively for youth living around our operating sites in partnership with leading organizations known for their commendable work in skill development. Key highlights for the year were:
- Mining Academy – Started in 2016, the Academy continues to grow with three centres currently comprising of about 172 students who are provided opportunity of a lucrative career in underground mining. The students receive class-room instruction as well as practical training using simulators and on the job training in mines.
- Skilling & Entrepreneurship Centres – Skill development centres at Dariba and Agucha were started which will train about 700 youth every year across six different trades including micro finance, home electrician, security guard, general duty assistant, sales associate and data entry. Currently, 159 youth including girls are undergoing training who will then be placed in surrounding districts.
- ITI training at Maruti Suzuki, Gurgaon is a 2-year course offered by Maruti Suzuki to train youth for jobs in the automotive industry. Instead of starting its own ITI training program, the Company decided to encourage, prepare and support youth to be selected for this program. Presently, 152 youth have made it to this program.
- National Employability Enhancement Mission: Under this project, qualified graduates are placed as apprentices in various business units of the Company for a period of three years for receiving on-the-job training. During this year, 134 youth were taken in as apprentices under this scheme.
- BPO Training the course was started during the year at two locations where training was imparted to 48 youth including 26 girls and 22 boys, of which 70% were placed in jobs with salaries ranging from Rs. 8000 to Rs. 25000 per month.
- Other Training Courses: Training programs for employment as security guards and drivers as well as a 45-day training on micro entrepreneurship was introduced during the year benefitting 21 youth.
HZL’s flagship project Sakhi is geared towards mobilizing rural women into self-help groups (SHGs) and developing their capacities around leadership, skill development, savings and entrepreneurship. Under this project, there are 1922 SHGs with a membership of about 23,954 with total savings of Rs 6.2 Crore and cumulative loans of Rs 17.13 Crore including credit of Rs 2.7 Crore leveraged from banks. 18,053 women availed loans from SHGs for various purposes like livelihood activities, education, debt redemption and house hold consumption. 492 women have started or expanded their micro-enterprises.
To promote financial self-sufficiency, the project now has 126 functional VOs and 5 federations with a base of 23,000 women.
Two of the largest programs, Khushi & Sakhi, were brought together under various initiatives. One example is the involvement of about 140 women in stitching uniforms for 60,000 Khushi Anganwadi children under the ‘Khushi Baatiye’ campaign. HZL is partnering with a leading federation Saheli Samiti along with technical support from Manjari Foundation.
HEALTH, WATER & SANITATION
Mobile Health Vans (MHVs):
During the year, the Company re-launched MHVs around four of its locations to provide accessible and affordable medical care to neighboring communities. The project is set to positively touch lives of around 1.4 Lac people over the next 3 years with special focus on women and children. The key highlights and achievements for the year were:
- Total of 832 OPD sessions were held providing healthcare to about 42,000 patients of which 26,000 were women and children
- 1,491 rapid tests were conducted along with 293 antenatal check-ups
- 309 villagers were referred to base hospitals in the district
- 62 awareness sessions conducted on Anemia and Women Health, Nutrition, etc. covering 3,617 beneficiaries
Angdaan Mahadaan Campaign
This was a joint initiative of Hindustan Zinc and Dainik Bhaskar with Mohan Foundation Jaipur Citizen Forum as the technical partners. The campaign reached more than 12000 people through awareness seminars in 15 towns of Rajasthan, workshops for doctors & nursing staff in hospitals, street plays, talk shows cum felicitation ceremony for donor families, road shows in rural markets and Udaipur marathon.
Other Health Initiatives
- The six Company run hospitals treated over 1,07,500 external patients through the year.
- Over 22,000 patients were treated at a Homeopathic camp supported by Hindustan Zinc at Gulabpura near Rampura Agucha.
The Company has always supported people in having adequate access to Drinking Water. During the year, the Company activated a long-term water security strategy for its operating areas including water replenishment and access to clean drinking water.
- Water Harvesting
- In partnership with the State Government, 34 water harvesting structures were built or repaired with a capacity to hold 4,675 cubic metres of rainwater
- Commissioned a water resource assessment using remote sensing and Geographic Information System as well as a rainwater harvesting plan for Dariba
- Drinking Water Provisioning
- Initiated community RO water plants in partnership with local Gram Panchayats based on a viable business model where in the Company provides capital costs and funds gap in operational funding for the first few years. Three such community RO plants were set up this year along with five water ATMs.
SPORTS & CULTURE
Zinc Football (ZF)
Hindustan Zinc has initiated Zinc Football, a massive program directed at achieving grassroots development as well as excellence in football in Rajasthan.
- ZF Schools (Football for All) – Uses football as a tool for social development and ensuring young kids have a platform to express themselves through football. With the philosophy that ‘Every child should have an opportunity to play’, ZF has set up community football schools across six operating locations of the Company. Over 2,000 children receive football training at these academies on a weekly basis by All India Football Federation certified coaches
- ZF Academy (Football for Excellence) - Nurturing talent to develop future football stars for the state and the country. At the heart of this initiative is a Residential Academy with world-class facilities at Zawar and the country's first ever 'technology-hinged football training' centre. The Academy is currently training its first under-14 batch of 32 children where they are coached using innovative training programs with equal emphasis on learning and playing.
Some of the key achievements of ZF in its first year of operation were:
- ZF team made its debut at the national level annual sports meet conducted by School Games Federation of India (SGFI) and reached quarter finals
- Aman Khan, a student of the ZF academy, was selected to represent Rajasthan's state team in the SGFI U-17 Championship, held in Jammu and was its youngest member
- 8 out of U-14 ZF Academy boys have been selected to represent DAV Rajasthan in the forthcoming DAV Under-19 National Championship to be held in Ranchi
- Skill improvement initiative for coaches was conducted in collaboration with coaches from US and UK from the award-winning non-profit organization ‘Coaches Across Continents’
The 3-day World Music Festival in Udaipur was supported by the Company and was attended by 150 artists from 15 different countries and over 42,000 spectators. The Company continued to support Smritiyaan and Maharana Kumbha Sangeet Samaroh which was graced by leading classical artists like Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, Prakhar Jojan, Ustad Asghar Husain, to name a few.
Hindustan Zinc is the CSR partner under Government of India’s Swachh Iconic Places initiative as part of Swachh Bharat Mission. This initiative was rolled out by the Prime Minister of India under which the Company signed a tripartite MoU with the Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti’s Dargah and the Municipal Corporation of Ajmer to make the Dargah into a clean and iconic place. Key activities during the year included:
- A flower compost machine and 17 high-tech cleaning machines were deployed to ensure the cleanliness of the Dargah premises
- Trainings in risk management, fire safety and crowd management were conducted for the Dargah functionaries along with mock drills to ensure full preparedness among the stakeholders to deal with any unforeseen eventualities
- A detailed disaster management plan for the Dargah was prepared in association with the Ajmer District Disaster Management Authority
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- "Dainik Jagaran CSR award 2019" for women empowerment project “SAKHI”
- Rajasthan Government awarded Hindustan Zinc as best organisation working for Persons with Disabilities
- ET Now CSR Leadership Awards-Hall of Fame, for various community development initiatives & best practices. Rajpura Dariba Complex for Best Corporate Social Responsibility Practices and Ms Neelima Khetan recognised as one of the “100 Most Impactful CSR Leaders - Global listing”
- Golden Peacock Award
- Reached 9th Rank (from 20th rank last year) in CSR & Sustainability ratings done by IIM – Udaipur
- Commendation for Significant Achievement Award in Corporate Social Responsibility by CII-ITC Sustainability Awards
- Hindustan Zinc won CMRU-India CSR award in the category of 'Best CSR Collective Action-Leadership'
- “Khushi Anganwadi Program” was awarded with “Skoch Order of Merit” by Skoch CSR Awards
- Rajpura Dariba Complex awarded Responsible Business Award in “Best CSR Practices” category at World CSR Day
- Ms. Neelima Khetan was awarded the ‘Business Rankers Women Achievers’ certificate of excellence for ‘Excellence in Redefining CSR Model’
Connect with HZL